'Raising Funds from the Rich': interviews with major donors
Rating statistics for this page
3.4 out of 5 from 41 votes
KnowHow NonProfit interviews the philanthropists and fundraising experts who specialise in major donor giving and building relationships with philanthropists.
KnowHow NonProfit’s latest series of podcasts on major donor fundraising contain valuable insights from speakers such as Richard Branson, Martha Lane Fox and Dame Steve Shirley. Find out what motivates leading philanthropists to give. Plus, much more fundraising advice.
On this page:
- Sir Richard Branson on corporate social responsibility and what motivates him to give
- Martha Lane Fox on charities' use of e-media
- Ram Gidoomal CBE on raising funds from the Asian rich
- Kerry Rock on identifying the hidden rich
- Robin Thomas on preparing for the big 'ask'
- Johan Eliasch on active philanthropy
- Tej Lalvani on cause/donor synergy
- Martin Brookes on how major donors choose their cause
- Simon Morris on building and managing major donor relationships
- VIDEO: Dame 'Steve' Shirley on the state of UK fundraising and managing major donors
- Further information - more fundraising guides and an elearning course on database fundraising
In an exclusive two-part interview, Sir Richard Branson first discusses the causes that have inspired him to give, then offers his thoughts on corporate social responsibility.
Martha Lane Fox, founder of lastminute.com, talks about how charity leaders can make better use of e-media to build the reputations of their organisations.
Ram Gidoomal CBE, entrepreneur and chairman of the Christmas Cracker charity, talks about raising funds from the Asian rich.
The Action Planning research director explains how publicly available information can be used to identify wealthy people and develop profiles of their interests.
Robin Thomas, director of Business Development and Capital Appeals at Action Planning, explains: what motivates major donors to engage with an organisation; how to research and understand their motivations; how to ask for a major donation; and how to sustain donor’s support for your work.
Gordon Brown’s special representative on Deforestation and Clean Energy talks about how major donors need to be passionate about the projects they fund in order to help them succeed.
The senior vice president for global operations at Vitabiotics shares his views on finding a synergy between your cause and your donors.
Martin Brookes, CEO of New Philanthropy Capital on how major donors go about selecting the organisations that they want to give to.
Simon Morris of Jewish Care talks about building relationships with major donors, how to manage the potential risks and pitfalls of their over-involvement. He also talks about his strategies for running an organisation in economically uncertain times.
UK Ambassador for Philanthropy, Dame 'Steve' Shirley discusses how to encourage a culture of philanthropy in the UK; how to manage relationships with high net worth individuals; and how non profit organisations need to demonstrate impact to their major donors.
- Read our introductory guide to getting started in major donor fundraising
- Read our guide to 21st century philanthropy - looking at the policies that are most likely to encourage effective philanthropic giving in the UK over the next decade.
- Do our online training course: 'Fundraising from your database: how to turn contacts into supporters' - find the hidden rich in your data.
- Read - and contribute to - our wiki guide: 'How to fundraise in tough times'